[All Services] Downtime due to hurricane...

This board is sued to announce things with DHTA which may affect our non-members as well, such as maintenance, outages, or special events on our Ark servers.
Sephiroth
Site Admin

[All Services] Downtime due to hurricane...

Post by Sephiroth » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:55 pm

Services Affected: Everything except website
Date: 2018-09-15 through 2018-09-??
Time: Approx 2000hrs EDT to ??
Reason: Hurricane Florence is bearing down on the eastern US coast. Currently it appears to be ready to make landfall in South Carolina. This means my area will get heavy rain and flooding. Expect services to be down for a while including power, water, and Internet. This will mean all game servers and TS3 will be down. The site and forum are hosted in Texas, so they should be fine. Please spread the word to all of our members and friends so they don't believe we've called it quits or something!

Sephiroth
Site Admin

Re: [All Services] Downtime due to hurricane...

Post by Sephiroth » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:14 pm

The power went out at 1000hrs EDT on 2018-09-14. It has come on momentarily once since then. Services are down until power is restored. I will update this announcement as I get more information on the situation.

Sephiroth
Site Admin

Post by Sephiroth » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:55 pm

As of 2018-09-15 at 1341hrs my power has been restored. Currently I am not turning on the systems. Batteries need recharging, house needs the AC to dehumidify things, and I have water to clean up where my freezers thawed out. Once the backups are recharged I will restore services. I am in for two days of rain now. I will keep updating as things progress.

Sephiroth
Site Admin

Post by Sephiroth » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:52 pm

Power has been on for an hour, so I am bringing the TS3 and 7 Days to Die servers back online. I still have the rest of today and at least tomorrow to deal with rain and wind, so we'll keep this announcement open for the time being.

Sephiroth
Site Admin

Post by Sephiroth » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:59 am

We were told to evacuate by 1500hrs EDT today. They're worried that the Cape Fear River will flood up to a mile out of its banks on each side. I have my doubts, but you never know. I am preparing to shut down the servers as we pack our bags. I do not know when or if I'll be back on again. If the river does flood high enough to crest the windows in my home I will likely lose everything, including our servers, rigs, everything. We're going to disconnect them and place them on chairs to try and prevent this from happening, but only time will tell if it works.

If something does happen to me I have somebody in mind to take over services here and he will have things up if needed. It's been fun and I hope it can continue. Until next time!

Sephiroth
Site Admin

Post by Sephiroth » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:42 pm

We have a hotel room near the house. When I left you could not tell that there was a road between my front yard and my neighbors front yard. It looked like a river between us. I went back this evening and my road was almost completely drained. We have power and water, but have opted to leave things off and secured. The river may flood tomorrow and we don't want to be there. As soon as the river crests and begins receding we will return home. I can restore services then. So far we have fifteen dead from the storm.

Sephiroth
Site Admin

Post by Sephiroth » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:09 pm

The water level is around 60ft. Reports have it between 58ft and 64ft. I am guessing closer to 58ft. The crest is supposed to be tomorrow at 0800hrs EDT. If my yard is still dry two hours after that, I'll start moving back in and cleaning up. Everything was dry today and ditches were draining. Hopefully services will be restored by Wednesday night.

Sephiroth
Site Admin

Post by Sephiroth » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:50 am

The river is now high enough to reach the bottom of the bridges and they've changed the cresting time from this morning until tonight. We're beginning to worry again. I will update this again when I know more.

Sephiroth
Site Admin

Post by Sephiroth » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:37 pm

OK, so the street and yards are nearly dry. The ditches have almost completely drained, but the river is supposed to keep rising. As of 2000hrs EDT tonight, we are at 61.15ft. You can check the river level hourly at the site linked below. Once the river begins receding I can bring things back online, assuming the river doesn't do any damage to my land or home. I will let everybody know when I am able to return home.

USGS Site

Sephiroth
Site Admin

Post by Sephiroth » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:46 am

As of 2018-09-18 at 2300hrs the USGS has the river at 61.41ft and there is no flooding on any of the roads near my home. Well, there are a few roads where they go through low areas several feet lower than the rest, and they are flooded, but my road and the connecting roads are dry. As such I decided to take a risk and setup the server again. As of zero-hour on 2018-09-19, the TS3 server is operational. If TS3 disappears without a message from me then either the power or my uplink went down, or the house flooded. Let's hope it is the former options and not the latter.